Sunday, November 30, 2008

Child Soldiers...

The military use of children takes three distinct forms: children can take direct part in hostilities (child soldiers), or they can be used in support roles such as porters, spies, messengers, look outs, and sexual slaves; or they can be used for political advantage either as human shields or in propaganda.

Throughout history and in many cultures, children have been extensively involved in military campaigns even when such practices were supposedly against cultural morals. Since the 1970s a number of international conventions have come into effect that try to limit the participation of children in armed conflicts, nevertheless the Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers reports that the use of children in military forces, and the active participation of children in armed conflicts is widespread.



It was very surprising to learn that child soldiers were not only in many parts of Africa but all over the world. Though I would still like to learn who first came up with the idea. As sad as it is to see people do things like this to children, I do have to admit that whoever came up with the idea was quite creative. I would never think to use children, given as influential they are, in my army, given how harsh and destructive it is to the children.

As I was doing my research on child soldiers I came across another blog all about the Human Trafficking Project. After reading the post, there was one part that truly stood out to me:

"A child enters the world with no paradigms, no preconceived notions, no
stereotypes or limitations on what they can or cannot do. They are blank
canvasses upon which we adults paint the rules and ways of the world as we
understand them, as our community, society, nation and world dictates. As a child
solider, their mind is twisted, brainwashed and pigeon-holed into a reality
based on violence and killing. The child soldier is the saddest of trafficking
victims."


I honestly feel as though it could nothave been said better. This particular blog summed it up. They explain the concept of child soldiers in the simplest and easy to understand way.

The main concern I have for the child soldiers is how they will live after everything is over with. These poor children are only used for a few years and then they are discareded like trash. At that point in their lives they have seen and done ore then any other child their age. They have been torn apart mentally and probably physically. The mental issues that they have now are more then many people would know how to handle. There are many people out there that are trying their best to work with what child soldiers that have been tossed aside. But it is surely a task that is going to go on for the rest of their lives.

1 comment:

Dana Danielle Plair said...

I am doing a series of drawings and paintings on child refugees and child soldiers. I came across your blog during my online search. Very compelling piece! I was so surprised to find out that you attend WMU! My brother and sister Alex and Clarissa go there! I'm from Kalamazoo, MI too but I graduated from Howard University in D.C. I live in New York City now and did work with the United Nations Refugee Agency to supply protection and basic needs to adult and child refugees, so they will not be killed or forced to fight. Check out my blog, I wrote a piece about Darfur and a dream I had about a child soldier: www.onthemovepublishing.blogspot.com

Keep up the good work!