Sunday, November 9, 2008

Oil in Africa

Oil is one of the Earth's natural resources that has become a huge problem in my eyes. Oil is a great resource, but it causes more problems then it may actually be worth. Oil has not only caused problems here in the United States but in other countries as well, especially Africa.

Until recently I never actually knew that Africa had anything to do with oil. It is sad to find out that oil is not only a large issue in Africa, but that is is tearing Africa apart. It honestly seems that anything that creates income for the country, hurts it. The diamond issue that I have talked about in a previous blog is also one of those times when something that could make the country wealthier is only hurting it.

Oil in Africa has more of less become a curse. If a person is to find oil in his or her backyard, in the United States that would be a great thing. They would be rich! But in Africa, it could mean losing your land and your home to the government. I could not imagine losing my home for oil. I could see if I was profiting from it, but many times in Africa, that never happens.

Instead the government takes your home, and your land to make its own profit. And it is heartbreaking to hear that companies such as Shell and Exxon Mobile are taking part in what is going on in Africa. These are companies that are even here in the United States. I go to these gas stations all of the time to purchase gasoline. And I never one have thought of where the oil came from. Now it is actually sad to know the stories behind me being able to drive all over town. When someone people lose their land, jobs and basically their lives for it.

I feel that there are so many issues that I am learning about right now that are going on in Africa. Each thing that I learn about now hit home in such a way. They make me so mad sometimes, but then I have to sit back and wonder what am I doing to help it. Though I am not over in Africa digging for oil, or diamonds for that matter. I am buying them here in America. We as Americans (though we are not the only ones) are not helping any of the issues going on over in Africa. The purchases that we make here, and how we are so depended on oil are feeding the greed over in Africa. As long as people continue to pay for diamonds and oil, the situation in African will continue to grow.




No comments: